Monday, July 25, 2011

Am I just getting dumber, or older?

I am starting to have a appreciation for a few clichés I never really understood until now, a few days before yet another thirty something birthday.


“I have forgotten more than you know.”
Realizing exactly how much I have forgotten and how much my kids know, makes me incredibly sad, and makes me wish I didn’t kill off so many brain cells in my youth that might come in handy now.



“I tried so hard not to be like my mother, I turned into my father.”
Oh baby is this weird to realize came to fruition. If you knew my father, you’d understand why the prospect of hanging out in a tree for hours on with a shotgun to shoot a wild turkey only to decide best practice is to jump on its back and break its neck… is not something I am looking forward to deciding was a rational plan, sometime in my future. I am sure that sometimes in my father’s history, he thought… why would I ever do that? And yet, if I have turned into my father, I might start practicing my goat castration methods now.

“Women age like a fine wine.”
Yeah, well this one didn’t work out so well for me yet. However there is a certain complacency that comes from knowing you are not meant to be the one turning the heads in the room. It’s almost like being promoted to a supervisor position on a shift the big boss has gone home. You are not the expert, but a sufficient substitute to judge that the job is getting done… just not by you.



“Drink more, Look better!”
I have a feeling this might be put to the test this weekend on our girls weekend out in Atlantic City. I would be lying if I didn’t say here, that I am a little frightened. I am no longer the alcohol coinsure I was in my 20’s and I believe I can now officially be categorized as a light weight, which is probably the only time I will make the light weight of any category other than say, French history or Latin, or math. Ok, maybe there is a few others… shut up.

I know now why cliché’s were invented. Because as we age, our brains need a few things to say in every situation when our brains click onto autopilot to keep us from just standing there drooling on ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment